Macs and 4K 120Hz displays compatibility list
Following is the compatibilty list between various Macs and various 4k 120+ Hz displays.
Because Apple is not eager to share this kind of info themselves.
Will this list be updated?
Yes! I am starting this list with what I personally encountered, but hope for your contributions to expand it.
Why isn’t my Mac and/or display on the list?
Send a PR! Read the contribution guidelines at the end.
Why is my display listed red, even though I can use it just fine?
This list is about supporting full 4k resolution (3840×2160) at 120Hz only! Green icon means this Mac can work with that display at 4k and 120Hz. Red icon means it works, but in compromised settings (60 Hz, 1440p resolution).
Mac mini 2018
MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2018)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, 2018)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019) w/ Radeon Pro 560X
Mac Pro (2019) w/ Radeon Pro 580X
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) w/ Radeon Pro 560X
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) w/ Radeon Pro 5300M
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) w/ Radeon Pro 5500M
MacBook Pro (Intel, 13-inch, 2020)
iMac (2020) w/ Radeon Pro 5700 XT
Mac mini (M1, 2020)
MacBook Air (M1, 2020)
MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 14-inch, 2021)
MacBook Pro (M1 Max, 14-inch, 2021)
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 16-inch, 2021)
MacBook Pro (M1 Max, 16-inch, 2021)
Mac Studio (M1 Max, 2022)
Mac Studio (M1 Ultra, 2022)
MacBook Air (M2, 2022)
How to contribute?
If you have a combination of 4k monitor with 120+ Hz refresh rate and a Mac that’s not listed here, please open a PR (don’t worry about graphics/icons, I can add those myself).
Some guidelines. Please DO report:
- Both positive (it works) and negative (it doesn’t work) results.
- Positive results for pre-2018 Macs.
Please DON’T report:
- Any results about lower resolutions (1440p @ 120Hz or 4k @ 60Hz). Most Macs have no trouble powering those, so there’s no point in building a list.
- Anything already officially reported by Apple (yes, 5k/6k work just fine at boring 60 Hz).
- Results you didn’t experience yourself (e.g. read on a forum, heard from a friend). I want this list to stay as reliable as possible.
- Negative results for pre-2018 Macs. Thunderbolt version enabling 4k @ 120 Hz only came in 2018, so it’s unlikely Macs before that would have the support.
When opening a PR, please attach screenshots like these two. First one shows the exact model of your Mac and its GPU. Second one shows your display model and resolution it is working in.
I hope this effort ends up useful.
Also see Time to upgrade your monitor.
I’m Nikita. Here I write about programming and UI design Subscribe
I also create open-source stuff: Fira Code, AnyBar, DataScript and Rum. If you like what I do and want to get early access to my articles (along with other benefits), you should support me on Patreon.